Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Maybelline Eye Studio Color Push Quad in Legendary Lilac Review & Swatches

Repurchase: No
Price: $10.79 @ CVS (Will be cheaper at other places)
Product: 19.5/25
Packaging: 4/5
Value: 6.5/10
Overall Grade: C

I decided to give Maybelline's Eye Studio Color Push Eyeshadow Quads another go and picked up Legendary Lilac over the weekend. I had high hopes -I expected to be even more impressed with Maybelline's Eye Studio line but it didn't turn out quite the way I would've liked..

The Packaging: The eyeshadows come in a plastic, black palette with a clear lid. I do like its compact size but with most cheap, plastic palettes, they tend to break easily which means I have to be extra careful (inconvenient!) The quad also comes with a double sided sponge applicator which is nice if there's some sort of emergency (i.e. my little brother steals my makeup brushes thinking they're for real paints, someone steals my makeup bag (how horrible would that be?!), my clumsy self leaves them on the train on a trip to the city.)

Ingredients
The Product: So last time, I wrote that the eyeshadows applied pretty smoothly, blended easily, and were nicely pigmented. Well this time, the color payoff wasn't so good -I'd say it was very, very average. Although the eyeshadows come in absolutely gorgeous colors, I would need better color payoff to accurately display those lovely shades. As always, a primer does help but I do feel that this definitely needs an upgrade -it's not working for me. As for lasting ability (with a primer), I'd say 5-6 hours but the eyeshadows are very light and faded by the end of the day.

I noted before that I felt that these were around the same quality as Revlon's Luxurious Color eyeshadows. I have to take that back -at least when it comes to this specific quad. This is not as good as Revlon (in terms of color payoff) but the texture (to me) is better than Wet 'n' Wild (and way, way better than NYC.) Wet 'n' Wild, However, has better color payoff.

The Color: (from left to right as displayed above)

1. Pale white with a touch of lilac shimmer and iridescence
2. Pale lilac with golden shimmer
3. Pale violet (blue undertones) with violet and golden shimmer
4. Deep eggplant with violet shimmer

Swatches..

Above (no flash) from left: Maybelline Eye Studio Quad in Legendary Lilac - 1, 2, 3, 4


Overall: I already said it but I'll say it again -the colors are beautiful but the pigmentation isn't there. In my opinion, save your money and buy the Wet 'n' Wild Color Icon Lust Palette (darker and more dramatic than this) or Revlon Luxurious Color eyeshadows if you're yearning for some purples in your life. I'm not saying that this palette is horrible, it's really a pretty little palette, but I'm very picky when it comes to color payoff so for me, it's a skip.
 
Where To Buy: CVS, Rite Aid, Target

9 comments:

  1. I think the 4th shade looks more like a brown than a purple or lilac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colors are pretty, perfect for an everyday look but so sad the color payoff is not good.This is really a problem you get yourself a palette and then you find out that it's not well pigmented

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colours are nice. Too bad they are not so pigmented. I love pigmented eyeshadows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah the colors do look pretty but way too sheer I think. no point in wearing sheer eyedshadows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and LOL i can't believe you performed with ripped pants and NO ONE NOTICED! that's talent babe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never bought drugstore eye makeup because I always thought that they wouldn't be that good and besides they have so few colours(i mean 3 or 4, the most i've seen 5) and I seem to be an addict of palettes because I feel like I really need all those colours (not like 120, but 10-15 is a resonable number). I've seen some beuatifull seventeen palettes and I'm gonna give them a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Anonymous.. It's actually more of an "eggplant" than purple or lilac. I guess it does go into "brown territory" but it's more eggplant (to me) than anything.

    @ alvira.. I absolutely agree! What's the point of an eyeshadow palette if the payoff isn't that good. It's decent but I'll never use it because my other eyeshadows are a lot better.

    @ Schumitza.. I was like that for awhile too but I have noticed that drugstore brands are really upping their game. I've come across many great drugstore products (along with some duds) but there are a few treasures in the drugstore.

    It's funny you mentioned the lack of variety. I'm not sure where you're from but in the U.S., there are loads of colors to choose from! Some brands like Cover Girl offer bright colors while Revlon offers more traditional (but pretty) shades. There's definitely been a change in variety in the last few years -there's lots more to choose from now.

    I've never heard of Seventeen but I hope you like the palettes you buy!

    @ Pamela.. Me too! Pigmented eyeshadows are a MUST in my book. =)

    @ Pop Champagne.. LOL thanks! I figured why not? It's not like I couldn't NOT perform.

    And I definitely agree -no point in wearing sheer eyeshadows. I rather wear nothing. These do look better with primer though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm from Romania, and sometimes the brands don't distribute all their colour palette here. It's really a pain in the ass that you find only a small range of a collection. For many years I've relied solely on Sephora but sometimes a girl needs a change. And something cheaper once in a while hehe.
    Well, probably you haven't heard of Seventeen because I've just now realized that it is a Greek Brand and I think it's only available in Europe. here's the website http://www.seventeencosmetics.gr/en/

    They have pretty colours but as I have said before, they don't stock all of them in the stores. And it's a hustle. I sometimes prefer buying on ebay.
    Hope that clarified things

    ReplyDelete
  9. I HATE when stores don't stock all the colors -it IS a big pain in the butt!! I'm a big Sephora girl myself -BUT lately I have been crossing over to some more drugstore brands. The thing is though, with drugstore brands, it's always a hit and miss and with Sephora, I usually always love what I buy!

    I will have to take a look at Seventeen when I have some time -the brand sounds pretty neat! I like buying on Ebay sometimes too -especially when you can snag a sweet deal. The only problem though is that there are so many fakes on there!! =(

    ReplyDelete